Decadent chocolate cake with edible flowers
Easter’s all about chocolate, isn’t it? But it’s also about spring. The clocks have gone forward, the daylight is starting to stretch our evenings, and gardens are waking up with daffodils, primroses and pansies. This cake celebrates all of this, combining a delicious chocolate cake with a cocoa buttercream and decorated with fresh and crystallised edible flowers.
- 5 ozs (150g) butter
- 1 cup (220g) light brown sugar
- 100g good quality chocolate (I used Considered Milk Chocolate 54%)
- ¼ cup & 2 tbsp (50g) cocoa powder
- 160 ml milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1⅓ cups (170g) flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC.
- 2. Grease and line a 23cm (9 inch) round tin.
- 3. In a very large pot gently melt the butter, sugar, milk, chocolate and cocoa. Stir until you have a smooth consistency and everything is completely melted.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir well to make sure it is combined. Allow to cool for 5 mins.
- 5. After it has cooled, add the eggs one at a time and stir into the mixture using a whisk.
- 6. Sift in the flour, baking soda and baking powder and stir gently until completely combined.
- 7. Scrape the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45-55 mins or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
- 8. Allow to cool for 5 mins and then turn the cake out onto a cooling rack. Leave the bottom of the cake facing upwards- this will flatten the top of the cake and make it even and easier to ice.
- 1½ cups (195g) icing sugar
- 4 tbsp (32g) cocoa powder
- 2 ozs (60g) very soft butter
- 3 tbsp warmed milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Place the butter, 1 cup of sugar, cocoa powder and 1tbsp of warmed milk into a large bowl.
- 2. Beat until smooth.
- 3. Add the remaining sugar and milk and beat again until smooth.
- 4. Smooth the icing all over the cake using a palette knife.
- 5. Decorate with edible flowers* and fruit - I used pansies, primroses and blueberries.
To crystallise your flowers brush them with a little egg white and dip in granulated sugar and leave to dry overnight on greaseproof paper. If you are using fresh flowers serve your cake immediately.
*Please make sure the flowers have not been sprayed with any chemicals.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Milk chocolate3521100 Belgian chocolate sauce3520112 Measuring cups3513106 Measuring spoons3513108 Silicone spoon3513122 Whisk3513125 Brownie Mix3521107 Cooling tray3530106