Flapjacks remind me of teenage visits to friends where we would sit around a large kitchen table discussing the trials and tribulations of our world. As my friend stirred melting butter and sugar on the Aga, flattening the oaty mix into a tin, we would enjoy the flapjacks with our second or third pot of tea, sometimes eating them from the tin while they were still warm. Full of oats, nuts and seeds, these bars are perfect as an after school snack. If you want to, you can leave out the nuts and seeds and add raisins or even chocolate chunks as a treat.
- ¾ cup (175g) butter
- ¾ cup (175g) soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Considered whipped honey
- 3 cups (250g) porridge oats
- ½ cup (80g) almonds- roughly chopped
- ½ cup (40g) seeds
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- 2. Lightly grease a square baking tin (approx. 9x9 inch).
- 3. In a large pan melt the butter, sugar and honey. Keep stirring until thoroughly combined.
- 4. Remove from the heat and stir in the oats, nuts and seeds.
- 5. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface with a spoon.
- 6. Bake in the oven for 20mins or until the edges are brown and the surface turns golden.
- 7. Place the tin on a wire rack to cool. Slice into squares (I use my dough scraper for this). Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Honey3520116 Spoon3513122 Round Rack 3530113