Raspberry and thyme pickled onions
Pickled onions are a great pantry staple. They’re so easy to make and add a savoury note to a long list of dishes. You could scoop these onto a simple cheese sandwich or a burger, add to a wrap or sprinkle into a salad. The colours are so pretty. These ones are pickled in my raspberry vinegar so they’re nice and sweet, while thyme is a delicious addition. Alternatively add your favourite herb - rosemary and bay would work well.
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup Considered Raspberry Vinegar (available at the following stores)
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1. Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- 2. Thinly slice the onions and carefully add to the water.
- 3. After 20 seconds pour into a colander and leave to cool.
- 4. Combine the vinegar, sugar and salt, cook on a high heat for 2-3 minutes. Just until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- 5. Place your onions into a clean sterilised jar and add a few sprigs of fresh thyme.
- 6. Pour over the hot vinegar- make sure all the onions are covered.
- 7. Refrigerate. They can be eaten straight away but will be better after a day or 2 of infusing, allowing the flavours to mingle and mature.
The onions will keep for 7-10 days once refrigerated. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Dinner Plate3540126 Sml Marble Board3512115 Cutlery Set3541109 Stripe Tea Towel 3511127