Raspberry rose pound cake with lime cream cheese frosting
As a child my mother’s best friend had a huge raspberry patch. We would play hide and seek in it and I can remember long summer evenings lying on the ground eating raspberries and waiting with excited anticipation to be caught! She also had the most amazing rose garden and really this was the inspiration for my raspberry and rose jam. So, for me this cake is the very essence of summer; a soft sponge dotted with the fragrant flavour of the raspberry and rose jam and topped with a creamy lime icing. Perfect to enjoy on a long summer evening… Even if you are not playing hide and seek!
- 5½ ozs (160g) butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (130g) plain flour
- ¼ cup (30g) corn flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp Considered raspberry and rose jam (available at the following stores)
- 1 cup (250g) mascarpone cream cheese
- ½ cup (55g) icing sugar
- Zest and juice of half a lime
Decorate with raspberries, rose petals* and lime zest (optional)
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- 2. Grease and line a loaf tin (approx. 9x5 inch).
- 3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer or by hand until pale and fluffy.
- 4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 5. Fold in the flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt until combined - be careful not to over mix.
- 6. Scrape half the mixture into the prepared tin, spoon over the jam and then top with the remaining mixture.
- 7. Gently swirl the jam through the mixture by running a knife through it.
- 8. Bake in the oven for 40- 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then carefully remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- 1. Empty the mascarpone into a bowl and whip with a spoon.
- 2. Add the sugar and the juice and mix until combined.
- 3. Ice your cake with the frosting and decorate with raspberries, edible flowers* and lime zest.
*Please make sure the flowers have not been sprayed with any chemicals.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Dinner Plate3540126 Side Plate3540128 Cutlery Set3541109 Bowl3540127 Sanford Tall3512122 Beach Stripe Tea Towel3511131 Beach Stripe Napkins3511132