Blackberry Lemon Drizzle Cake
The perfect lemon drizzle cake, this one is really also super easy. You just dump everything together in the bowl and bake! Then drizzle with lemon syrup. The only thing is you need to make sure your butter is very very soft. I usually put the butter in the bowl first and stir, just to make sure there are no lumps. I added some blackberries because they are delicious and Irish hedgerows are laden with them at the moment but they are not essential and the cake will be just as lovely without them or you can make it with raspberries or blueberries instead.
- 180g butter (room temperature)
- 180g flour
- 180g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp baking powder
- handful of blackberries
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 120g icing sugar
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- 2. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- 3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter*, eggs, sugar, flour baking powder and lemon zest and combine until completely incorporated and you see no flour.
- 4. Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and scatter the blackberries on top and push down into the mixture.
- 5. Bake in the oven for 45- 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins.
- 1. In a jug, mix the lemon juice and icing sugar.
- 2. Poke holes in the cake and pour over the syrup while still warm. Serve and enjoy!
*Make sure your butter is really soft. If you are unsure, place in the bowl first and beat a few times to make sure it's smooth.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Enzyme Tea Towel3511163 Food Platter3541132