Butternut Squash and Chickpea Soup
This soup is a wonderful hearty bowl of goodness. If, like me, you love squash soup but hate the thought of chopping rock-hard raw squash, then this is the recipe for you! Simply chop the squash in half and roast it, then scoop out the flesh once it's cooked. The roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the squash to make it extra delicious. You can also serve this with spiced seeds if you like.
- 1.5kg butternut squash
- 2 onions (halved)
- Sea salt
- 1 sprig thyme
- Olive oil
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tin chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Spiced seeds (optional)
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C.
- 2. Place the squash (skin side down) and onions onto a baking tray. Sprinkle with salt and throw on the thyme and drizzle with olive oil.
- 3. Wrap a garlic bulb in foil and place on the tray. Roast everything in the oven for 1 hour and 15 mins. until the squash is soft and onions are carmelised.
- 4. Leave to cool.
- 5. Scoop the flesh out of the squash and remove skin from onions and the garlic cloves should pop out of their skins.
- 6. Place all into a pan and add 1-2 tsps of paprika. Turn the heat to a medium and stir for 30 seconds.
- 7. Add 1.5 litres of good vegetable stock and blend until smooth using a hand blender.
- 8. Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to the soup and warm through for 5 mins.
- 9. Serve with spiced seeds if you are using a little paprika. Enjoy!
Why not serve with my brown bread http://www.dunnesstores.com/irish-brown-soda-bread/content/fcp-content
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Enzyme Tea Towel3511163 Ludlow Bowl3540140