Hearty kale and lentil soup
A healthy and hearty soup that is perfect to warm you up on a chilly day. My kale and lentil soup is a delicious and spicy blend that is full of flavour and so easy to throw together. Lentils are really tasty but have the added bonus of being high in fibre, protein and iron. Kale is packed with vitamins A, C, K and antioxidants, making this soup super healthy! Make it a complete meal with a slice of crusty bread.
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tin of chickpeas (400g)
- 100g short grain brown rice
- 200g puy lentils (or green/ black)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2.5 litres vegetable stock
- Bunch of kale (with stem removed)
- 1. Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic.
- 2. Finely slice the carrot and celery.
- 3. Pour the olive oil into a large pan and place on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and sea salt and stir.
- 4. Cover with the lid, then turn the heat to low and cook gently for 15 mins. Stir occasionally until the onions are soft and translucent.
- 5. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the pan with the lentils, rice, tomatoes, lemon juice and all the spices.
- 6. Pour in the stock and turn the heat up to high and bring to the boil. Stir a few times and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10-15 mins.
- 7. Chop the kale into 2 inch slices and add the your broth. Continue to simmer for 15 mins or until the lentils and rice are cooked.
- 8. Pour into a bowl and serve. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Mercer Dish3541103 Pot Holder3511116 Waffle Tea Towel3511120 Cutlery Set3541109