Lemon and Mascarpone Tart
Fri, 8th April
This is a really simple tart but end result is impressive. Made from my favourite tart dough, based on one I saw on David Leboritz's blog, it has the same shell as my Pecan Pie recipe but I reduced the quantity. The filling is sharp lemon curd but mixed with cool mascarpone to create a creamy lemon filling. An easy tart for any occasion, it certainly looks a lot more difficult to make than it is!
Caramelised Lemon Slices
- 1 lemon sliced finely
- ⅔ cup (150g) sugar
- ⅔ cup (165 ml) water
- 1. Add the sugar and water to a pan and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- 2. Carefully add the lemon slices in a single layer.
- 3. Cook until a golden caramel appears, approx. 10-12mins.
- 4. Remove from the pan and place on baking paper to cool.
- You will need a 9.5 inch round tart pan
- 3 oz (85g) butter cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp plain oil (sunflower or canola)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 rounded cups (160g) plain flour
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 210ºC.
- 2. In a medium size oven proof dish (my bowery oven dish would work perfect or pyrex dish- not metal) place the butter, oil, water, sugar and salt. No need to combine or mix, just pop them all on top of each other.
- 3. Place the dish in the oven for 15 mins. or until the butter has melted and is starting to bubble and brown at the edges.
- 4. Remove from the oven and pour in the flour (be careful as contents will be hot). Stir vigorously until the dough comes together and starts pulling away from the sides.
- 5. Transfer the dough to the tart shell and let it cool slightly. Press into the base and sides until smooth and even. Reserve a little piece of the dough to fill in any cracks.
- 6. Prick the dough all over with a fork and bake for 15 mins. until golden brown.
- 7. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- 1 tub Mascarpone (approx. 250g)
- 1 jar Considered Lemon Curd (200g)
- 1. Add the mascarpone and lemon curd to a large bowl (reserve about 4 tbsp of the lemon curd for the top of the tart).
- 2. Mix the mascarpone and lemon curd until smooth.
- 3. Spoon the mixture into the cooled tart shell and top with drizzles of lemon curd and the caramelised lemon slices. Slice and enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Hampton Serving Dish3541128 Hampton Dinner Plate3540161 Hampton Side Plate3540162 Round Tart Pan3530109