Raw Peanut Caramel Bites
Thurs, 30th of March
Even though these bars are raw and full of nuts and coconut, they are incredibly filling and rich; a little is sure to fill you up! There are a few steps to this recipe, but the end result is worth it. I poured the chocolate on top but if I were to make them again, I would cut them from the fridge cold and dip the tops into chocolate; they tended to crack otherwise and this made for a slightly messy appearance, but we won’t judge them for that! They still taste delicious.
For the Nougat Bottom
- 1/3 cup (100g) creamed coconut melted (half a block)
- 1 cup (150g) cashew nuts soaked for 4 hours and drained
- ¼ cup (60 ml) coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (80g) ground almonds
- 2 cups (280g) dates
- ½ cup (140g) smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup (100g ) creamed coconut melted (other half of block)
- ½ cup (125 ml) melted coconut oil
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 ½ cups (210g) salted peanuts
- 100g 70% dark chocolate
- 1. Place the block of creamed coconut into hot water to melt.
- 2. Place the soaked cashew nuts, melted coconut oil, honey, vanilla and half the melted block of creamed coconut into a blender and pulse until smooth.
- 3. Add the ground almonds and pulse again.
- 4. Scrape out into a square tin and press down until firm. Place this in the freezer while you make the caramel topping.
- 5. Place your dates into a saucepan with just enough cold water to cover them.
- 6. Put the dates onto the hob and bring to the boil. Simmer the dates for 5-10 mins until they become a thick, gooey mixture and most of the water is gone.
- 7. Place the dates into the blender and add the peanut butter, the other half of the creamed coconut block, coconut oil and salt.
- 8. Pulse until it combines in to a smooth caramel.
- 9. Remove the tin from the freezer and spread over half the caramel.
- 10. Sprinkle half the salted peanuts on top and then spread remaining caramel and repeat with remaining peanuts and now refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 11. Take the tin out of the fridge and slice into 20 or 24 squares depending on what size you want them to be Remember they are quite rich so smaller may be sufficient.
- 12. Melt your chocolate and dip the top in and leave to set. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to eat. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Peppercorn 2pk Tea Towel3511173 Ludlow Dinner Plate3540141 Ludlow Side Plate3540142 Ludlow Bowl3540140