January for a lot of us is about resetting the nutrition button. After that month of excess, also known as Christmas, January is about getting back into a routine, upping your exercise and readdressing your diet. And for me, that starts with what I have for breakfast.
I find that if I make the right choice for my first meal then I am much more likely to make the right choices throughout the day. This overnight muesli is named after Swiss physician Max Bircher-Brenner, a godfather of raw food. The fact that you put it all together the night before means you don’t have any decisions to make first thing in the morning and there is nothing to do but pull it out of the fridge and serve. You can add whatever nuts and seeds you like or include some dried fruit.
- Makes 3-4 Servings
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water or apple juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Drizzle Considered Blackcurrant Syrup to serve
- 1. Place oats, seeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- 2. Toss together and set aside.
- 3. In a separate bowl combine yoghurt, water (or juice) and honey and stir well.
- 4. Pour yoghurt mixture over the oats and stir.
- 5. Cover and place in the fridge over night.
- 6. Serve drizzled with my Blackcurrant Syrup with fresh fruit or extra yoghurt.
I like it with stewed apricots or pears, which you can also make in advance.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Products used: Mercer Bowl (med)3540107 Slogan Tea Towel -3511109 Wooden Block3512118 Waffle Tea Towel3511107 Cutlery Set3541109 Blackcurrant Syrup3520111