Biscotti are the perfect bite for an afternoon or else serve them with a morning coffee on the weekend. Personally, I like to make these to munch on while I prepare a large and more substantial brunch! You need to whip the sugar and eggs to incorporate a lot of air as you want the consistency to be thick and mousse-like. This is what gives the biscotti their unique, light texture and a hard snap when you bite into them. Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days but they are definitely best eaten on the day they’re made.
- 1 cup (125g) plain flour
- ⅓ cup & 1 tbsp (80g) sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup (75g) almonds
- 80g Considered Ginger Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC
- 2. Line a large baking tin with baking parchment.
- 3. In a bowl mix the egg and sugar until pale and thick. Continue whisking until you reach the ribbon stage (the mixture will leave a visible trail when you lift the whisk).
- 4. Carefully fold in the flour, baking powder, almonds and chocolate until it comes together to form a solid dough.
- 5. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and form the dough into a flat long mound (approx. 25 x 5cm).
- 6. Place on the lined baking tray and bake for 25-30 mins.
- 7. Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly, then cut the loaf into 2cm thick slices using a serrated knife and lay the slices on the baking tray.
- 8. Bake for another 10-15 minutes (turning them over half way) until golden-brown.
- 9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: 3 pack Tea Towel3511144 Ellis Mug3540132