Chocolate heart cake
This is a one bowl chocolate cake that’s really moist and very easy to make. There is no creaming of the butter and sugar, so it is simple to put together and throw in the oven and while this cake looks impressive- there is no special tin! Just a 9 inch square tin and 9 inch round tin. It’s the putting together that makes it into a Valentine's special. The icing is also an incredibly easy one bowl combination and I have added my toffee butter sauce which gives an added extra depth of flavour and lusciousness. This cake is perfect to make with the whole family for this Valentine's Day.
You will need:
1x round pan (9 inch)
1x square pan (9 inch)
- 10 ½ ozs (300g) butter
- 2 cups (440g) light brown sugar
- 200g good quality chocolate ( I used Considered milk chocolate 54%)
- ¾ cup (100g) cocoa powder
- 320 ml milk
- 6 large eggs
- 2 ⅔ cups (340g) flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC
- 2. Grease and line your tins.
- 3. In a very large pot gently melt the butter, sugar, chocolate, milk and cocoa. Stir until you have a smooth consistency and everything is completely melted.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir well to make sure it is combined. Allow to cool for 5 mins.
- 5. After it has cooled, add the eggs one at a time and stir into the mixture using a whisk.
- 6. Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and stir gently.
- 7. Scrape the batter into the prepared tins and bake for 45-55 mins or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
- 8. Allow to cool for 5 mins and then turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack. Leave to cool with the bottom of the cake facing upwards- this will flatten the top of the cakes to make them even and easier to ice.
- 3 cups (390g) icing sugar
- ⅔ cup (85g) cocoa powder
- 4 ozs (120g) very soft butter
- 6 tbsp warmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ - ¾ jar Considered toffee butter sauce
- 1. Place the butter, 1 cup sugar, cocoa powder and 2tbsp of warmed milk into a large bowl.
- 2. Beat until smooth.
- 3. Add the remaining sugar and milk and beat again until smooth.
- 4. Add the toffee butter sauce and stir to combine.
Putting the Cake together
- 1. When the cake is completely cool, using a bread knife cut the round cake in half .
- 2. Place each half to one corner of the square cake, placing a little icing to cement them together.
- 3. Make sure your cakes are level. If they are not, simply trim a little off the top of the cake (now the underneath).
- 4. Smooth the icing all over the cake using the back of a spoon. Draw lines echoing the heart shape of the cake.
- 5. Now sprinkle with 100s and 1000s.
So there it is a simple cake for Valentine's Day made using tins that aren’t going to gather dust in your cupboard.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Products used: Cooling Tray3530106 Square Pan3530102 Round Pan3530101 Marble Board (lrg)-3512115 Mixing Bowl-3512108 Cutlery Set3541109 Toffee Butter Sauce3520113 Measuring Cups3512103 Milk Chocolate3521100