Clementine and vanilla almond cake
This is a really moist and delicious cake that keeps really well and actually improves after a day or two. It is based on the now famous Nigella recipe, I have reduced the sugar slightly and added vanilla seeds. The clementine and vanilla complement each other well, the sharpness of the citrus fruit is cut with the sweetness of the vanilla. You can leave this cake plain and simply sprinkle with icing sugar or to make it more of an occasion like for Mother's Day, add a clementine glaze. I prefer to grind my own almonds as I feel the flavour is enhanced and since there are so few ingredients in this cake, it really does make a difference, but feel free to use pre-ground almonds if grinding your own just seems like too much hassle.
- 4-5 ( approx 375g) clementines
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 1/3 cups (250g) ground almonds
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- 1-2 tsp clementine juice
- 1 cup (125g) Icing sugar
- Clementine zest and flaked almonds to decorate
- 1. Line an 8" cake tin with butter and grease proof paper.
- 2. Place the clementines (whole) in a large pot of cold water and bring to the boil.
- 3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- 4. Pre-heat oven to 180˚c.
- 5. When cooled slice the clementines in half and remove seeds, then place whole clementines (including the skins) in a blender and blend to a pulp.
- 6. In a large bowl crack your eggs, add sugar, ground almonds, vanilla seeds and baking powder.
- 7. Mix well to combine and then add clementine pulp and combine.
- 8. Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour. You will need to cover the top of the cake with foil after about 20 mins to stop it from burning.
- 9. When a cake tester comes out clean, remove the cake from oven and leave to cool in tin for 20 mins. Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before icing.
- 10. To make the icing simply combine icing sugar and clementine juice until you get a thick but pourable consistency. Drizzle this on top of the cooled cake and sprinkle with clementine zest and flaked almonds if using.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: BERGAMOT GAUNTLET3511145 BERGAMOT DBL OVEN GLOVE3511146 BERGAMOT APRON3511147 BERGAMOT 3PK TEA TOWEL3511148 MARBLE BOARD3512131