Decadent Hot Chocolate & Homemade Digestives
This Valentine’s Day, why not surprise your loved one with a homemade version of their favourite biscuit? This recipe is for a crumbly oat biscuit that’s perfect served with a decadent hot chocolate. For a really rich drink, use melted chocolate instead of cocoa powder, I added a touch of cayenne pepper to spice it up!
- (makes 14-16 biscuits)
- 1 cup (100g) medium size oats*
- 50g (⅓ cup) wholewheat flour
- 50g (⅓ cup) plain flour
- 3½ ozs (100g) cold butter
- 50g (¼ cup) light muscovado sugar
- 1 bar of plain chocolate (optional)
*if you only have jumbo oats place them in the food processor or coffee grinder and blitz for a few seconds to reduce their size.
- (makes 2 x cups hot chocolate)
- 80g plain chocolate (chopped)
- 2 cups milk
- Whipping cream
- Couple of pinches of cayenne pepper
- Cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Considered Chocolate Syrup (optional)
To make the biscuits
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C.
- 2. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and rub together with your fingertips until it comes together into a dough.*
- 3. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and lightly knead once or twice until it comes together.
- 4. Roll to 5mm thick and cut with 7cm cookie cutter.
- 5. Place your biscuits onto a lined cookie tray and bake for 14-16 mins.
- 6. Carefully remove from cookie tray and place on a wire cooling tray as they will be very crumbly until they cool.
- 7. When completely cooled cover in your favourite chocolate, if desired they are honestly nice either way.
*if you blitzed your oats you may need to add another tablespoon of butter depending on how fine they are
- 1. Warm the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat
- 2. Add the chocolate and whisk until melted and combined.
- 3. Continue to heat until the mixture is hot, but not boiling, then add two small pinches of cayenne pepper. For a frothy finish, whisk vigorously just before pouring.
- 4. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I like mine with lashings of chocolate syrup and a cinnamon stick!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Favourite Mug3540157 Breakfast Set3540155 Chocolate Syrup3520122 Tea Pot3540149