Eclairs With Pumpkin Pastry Cream
Eclairs have to be one of my favourite treats. I usually like to add fresh whipped cream with a little vanilla and icing sugar added to it, but this time I've decided to put a bit of a seasonal spin on them by creating a pumpkin pastry cream filling. Just make sure to cook the pastry cream until it is very thick, otherwise it will run out of the middle. The word eclair comes from the French word for "lightning" a reference to how quickly these will vanish once you serve them up!
- 4oz (115g) butter
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup (125g) flour
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
Pumpkin Pastry Cream
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (85g) pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (16g) plain flour
- 2 ½ tbsp (20g) cornflour
- 1 cup (250ml) full fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3-4 tbsp water
- toasted almonds (optional)
Make 16 Eclairs
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 210ºC.
- 2. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- 3. In a heavy pot combine the butter, milk, water, sugar and salt; bring to the boil.
- 4. Add the flour immediately and reduce the heat to med-low. Using a wooden spoon stir vigorously until the dough comes together.
- 5. Keep stirring for another minute, or until the dough is dry.
- 6. Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl and let it stand for 2 mins.
- 7. Add the eggs one at a time, mix thoroughly after each addition.
- 8. Scrape your mixture into a pastry bag and pipe the dough onto the baking parchment approx. 6 inches long and 2 inches apart.
- 9. Bake in the oven for 12 mins. and then reduce the temperature to 190ºC. Rotate the baking sheet and bake for a further 8-10 mins. until they are puffed up and golden brown.
- 10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet. If you like crispy eclairs, pop a hole in each eclair with a toothpick to let the steam escape and prevent them from becoming soggy.
- 1. In a mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks, pumpkin purée, sugar, flour and cornflour until smooth.
- 2. In a saucepan, warm the milk over a low heat until hot but not boiling.
- 3. Add half the hot milk to the pumpkin mixture, whisking constantly.
- 4. Now add the pumpkin mixture to the remaining milk that's in the saucepan.
- 5. Over a low heat continue to cook the mixture for 4-5 minutes, whisking constantly until very thick.
- 6. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- 7. Put the custard in a bowl and cover with cling film. Place in the fridge until cooled (approx. 45 mins.)
Place the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time until you have a smooth, runny consistency (be cautious, you don't want it too runny).
- 1. Slice the cooled eclairs horizontally using a serrated knife.
- 2. Using a pastry bag fitted with a medium nozzle plain tip, pipe the pumpkin cream into the eclairs, using just enough to fill the inside.
- 3. Pop the top of the eclair on and gently spread the chocolate icing on top.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: 3 pack Tea Towel3511144 Ramekin3532100 Platter3541113