Hazelnut Chocolate Eton Mess
Alternative Christmas Dessert Not everyone is a fan of Christmas pudding, so if you’re looking for something delicious that can be made ahead of time why not try this hazelnut chocolate Eton mess? Crunchy, chewy meringues, chopped roasted nuts mixed with mascarpone cream and chocolate syrup. You could even make the meringues the day before and keep them in an airtight container for added convenience. This is such a hassle-free dish; simply put it all into one big bowl and let everyone help themselves depending on how much room they have after Christmas dinner! Alternatively you could serve this as individual meringues.
- 6 egg whites
- 300g sugar
- 50g chopped hazelnuts
- 250g mascarpone
- 230 ml double cream
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- Considered Chocolate Syrup
- 40g roasted hazelnuts
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 140ºC (Fan 120ºC).
- 2. In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- 3. Pop the sugar onto baking tray and place in the oven for 5-10 mins to warm it up. This helps to make the meringues extra thick and stable Gradually whisk in the sugar, a couple of tablespoons at a time, whisking well between each addition. Keep whisking for a few minutes until it gets really thick and glossy.
- 4. Add 50 g of chopped hazelnuts and fold in with metal spoon.
- 5. Place the meringues into 6 large dollops on your baking parchment and smooth out.
- 6. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 mins. The meringues should be crisp on the outside and lift away from the paper.
- 7. Turn off the oven and open the door slightly. Let the meringues cool in the oven
- To serve
- 8. Beat the mascarpone until loose and add the whipped cream and icing sugar until you have soft peaks.
- 9. Add the meringues to the mascarpone cream and mix together add extra chopped hazelnuts.
Spoon into individual glasses and pour over chocolate syrup and sprinkle with roasted hazelnuts
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Ludlow Serving Bowl3541117 Tumblers3541112 Chopping Block3512118