Homemade healthy hummus
Hummus has become a staple part of most peoples diets. You can buy some pretty great ready-made, but there is something satisfying about making your own. Also when you make your own you can control what is going into it !
You can use tinned chickpeas but I honestly think the flavour is better if you go to the trouble of soaking dried ones. This used to be a bit of a hit and miss process praying your chickpeas would cook and not end up like little pellets, however since reading Ottolenghi's method in his fantastic book Jerusalem, that has changed. He adds the baking soda to the damp chickpeas in the pot and stirs to coat before adding the water. This makes the skins fall away and float to the top so you end up with an extremely smooth consistency. When you have a tub of homemade hummus in the fridge a meal is moments away.
- 250 g (1 ¼ cups) dried chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 240 ml (1 cup) tahini paste
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- Salt to taste
- 100-200 ml ice-cold water
- 1. Put chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water and leave to soak overnight
- 2.The next day, drain chickpeas, rinse and place in a large pot with the teaspoon of baking soda. Cook the the chickpeas for a few minutes stirring constantly to make sure all the chickpeas are coated in the baking soda
- 3. Cover with water and bring to the boil . Simmer for 1 – 1.5 hours skimming off any foam and skins that rise to the top
- 4. Cook until they are soft and easily squash between your fingers
- 5. Drain chickpeas and allow to cool for 15 minutes, then place in a food processor and process until you get a stiff paste.
- 6. Add tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Slowly drizzle in ice water and allow it to mix for about 3-5 minutes, until you get a very smooth and creamy paste, you can add more or less water as desired.
- 7. Place hummus on a plate and drizzle in olive oil and serve with warm pitta a large salad and black olives.
- 8. Store in the fridge.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: LUDLOW DINNER PLATE3540141 LUDLOW SIDE PLATE3540142 LUDLOW SML PLATTER3541119