Lemon and coconut cake
If I had to choose between chocolate and lemon, lemon would win every time. I love a lemon tart and my home is rarely without a lemon loaf cake. After all how could anyone refuse a slice of lemon drizzle cake? With this in mind I have developed a new syrup for the range – lemon!
This is the perfect syrup to drizzle over cake, ice cream and fruit salad. Or even add a couple of tablespoons to plain yoghurt or cream to accompany your favourite pie. Everyone has their favourite lemon cake recipe but I recently came across the combination of lemon and coconut. It isn’t something I would have immediately paired together but it seemed like a good idea! This is my new favourite plain cake; the coconut gives it another depth of flavour and adds something special to the crumb of the cake. I have added lemon praline to the top but feel free to leave this step out if you are after something simple yet still very delicious.
- 6 ozs (180g) butter
- ¾ cup & 2tbsp (180g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp (80g) desiccated coconut (plus extra to decorate)
- 5 tbsp Considered Lemon Syrup (available in the following stores)
- 1 large lemon (zest & juice)
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC.
- 2. Grease and line a 23cm (9 inch) round tin.
- 3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer or by hand until pale and fluffy.
- 4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 5. Fold in the flour, baking powder, coconut and zest until combined - be careful not to over mix.
- 6. Add lemon juice and combine.
- 7. Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 35- 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 8. While the cake is still warm pierce it with a sharp knife and pour over 3tbsp of the lemon syrup. Using a pastry brush glaze the top of the cake with the remaining 2tbsp of syrup. Sprinkle over some coconut.
- 9. Leave to cool for 10 mins and then carefully remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
To make lemon praline topping
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- ⅓ cup lemon syrup
- 1. Add the almonds to a pan on a medium heat and stir for 2 mins.
- 2. Add the lemon syrup and stir until the almonds are toasted and brown.
- 3. Transfer out onto a lined baking tray and allow to cool.
- 4. Break up the praline and place on top of the cake to decorate. Serve and enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Marble Board3512115 Mixing Bowl3512107 Slogan Tea Towel3511114 Silicone Spoon 3513122