Parsnip & garlic soup with spiced seeds
I love parsnips, they are such a deep winter vegetable and remind me of cold clear mornings and frosty afternoons. This is the perfect soup after a long brisk walk. The combination of earthy parsnips and sweet roasted garlic complement each other beautifully.
- 5/6 parsnips
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable or chicken stock*
- Pinch coarse sea salt
- Drizzle olive oil
* or use water and 1 stock cube
- 1 tbsp spiced seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp butter
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- 2. Chop the parsnips into large chunks. Cut the bottom off the bulb of garlic to expose the bottom of the cloves.
- 3. Place garlic and parsnips in a tray and sprinkle with a little salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- 4. Roast for 30 mins or until parsnips and garlic are soft.
- 5. In a pan gently sauté the finely chopped onion and celery.
- 6. Add the parsnips and stock (or water if you’re using stock cubes).
- 7. Take your garlic cloves and squeeze out the soft insides into the soup (add your stock cubes here if using).
- 8. Blend until smooth.
- 9. To make the spiced seeds, place everything in a pan and toss gently until the seeds start to pop.
- 10. Pour the soup into bowls and sprinkle with seeds on top. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make these and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Products used: Mercer Bowl (sml)3540106 Wooden Small Plate3512111 Check Tea Towel3512119 Chopping Block3512118