Honey Pecan Pie
While we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, it is still the perfect excuse to eat the staple holiday dessert, yummy Pecan Pie. At first I was wary of this popular tradition but crumbly pastry, nuts, brown sugar and butter couldn't really add up to anything but delicious. I have made this using a tart shell that I first came across on the blog of American pastry chef David Lebovitz. It sounded radical- no cold butter, no cooling the tart shell but infact melting everything together. It was a revelation to me, and since trying it I haven't looked back! It is crumbly and sweet and so incredibly easy to make. The topping of this tart is toasted nuts with honey and brown sugar, a warm and comforting treat for these cold, wet days.
- 6 oz (180g) butter cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp plain oil (sunflower or canola)
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 rounded cups (300g) plain flour
- 1 cup (220g) packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (85g) honey
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ ozs (40g) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups (250g) pecans
First make the tart shell
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 210ºC.
- 2. In a medium size oven proof dish (my bowery oven dish would work perfect or pyrex dish- not metal) place the butter, oil, water, sugar and salt. No need to combine or mix, just pop them all on top of each other.
- 3. Place the dish in the oven for 15 mins. or until the butter has melted and is starting to bubble and brown at the edges.
- 4. Remove from the oven and pour in the flour (be careful as contents will be hot). Stir vigourisly until the dough comes together and starts pulling away from the sides.
- 5. Transfer the dough to the tart shell and let it cool slightly. Press into the base and sides until smooth and even. Reserve a little piece of the dough to fill in any cracks.
- 6. Prick the dough all over with a fork and bake for 15 mins.
Now start on the filling
- 7. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, honey, whole eggs, butter, vanilla extract and salt until thoroughly combined.
- 8. Remove the tart shell from the oven and carefully fill any cracks with the reserved piece of dough. Reduce the oven to 190ºC.
- 9. Spread the pecans in an even layer over the pie crust and pour over the sugar mixture on top of the pecans.
- 10. Bake for 35 mins. or until the filling is golden brown.
- 11. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with a dollop of cream and enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Hudson Side Plate3540134 Tart Pan3531110 oven glove3511146