Quick pickled cucumber
Last weekend I ate a buffet dinner that was a delight; cold meats and fish , salads and relishes. Included on the table were lightly pickled cucumbers and it struck me how delicious and easy they are and how they just add something extra to the plate for very little effort. These quick pickled cucumber will keep in a jar for up to 3 weeks, but keep refrigerated and remember the longer you leave them the more pickled they become . I like to eat them 2-3 hours after preparation so they are still crunchy.
- 1 white onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup, 4 fl oz , white vinegar
- 1 cup, 8 fl oz of water
- 1/4 cup, 60g, of sugar
- 1. Slice the onion and the cucumber as thin as you possibly can. If you have a mandoline then this is the ideal time to dust it off.
- 2. Empty the sugar into a large bowl and add the vinegar and water, stir to dissolve sugar.
- 3. Add the onion and cucumber to the liquid and leave for 2-3 hours.
- 4. When you are ready to serve strain the liquid away and discard. If you are keeping them then store in a jar with the liquid.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Ludlow Serving Bowl3541117 Ludlow Round Serving Platter3541118 Enzyme Tea Towel3511163