Spiced Lentil And Sweet Potato Soup
Fri, 8th of January
Now that the festive season is over and we are all getting back into our routine, my mind always returns to the idea of a hearty soup. After all the indulgence of the last few weeks, most of us welcome something wholesome, healthy and delicious. Combining the natural sweetness of sweet potato and the earthy flavour of red lentils, this soup is an easy supper or lunch. You could even make a big batch and put half in the freezer!
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 onions (chopped finely)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- A thumb-size piece fresh root ginger (grated)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (grated)
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock
- ½ cup (100g) red lentils
- Juice 1 lime
- 1. Put the spices into a large saucepan and toast over a medium heat for 1 mins.
- 2. Add the coconut oil and keep stirring as the spice sizzles in the pan.
- 3. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and seasoning and gently cook for 5 mins, stirring every so often.
- 4. As they cook, peel and grate the sweet potatoes.
- 5. Add the sweet potatoes with the stock and lentils. Cover and simmer for about 20 mins.
- 6. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth.
- 7. Stir in the lime juice and season to taste.
- 8. Pour the soup into bowls and drizzle with a little cream or coconut milk and some rocket for decoration. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Ludlow Bowl3540140