Cheddar & dill scones
Unfortunately we are not getting much of a summer here in Ireland. So, while I wish we were cracking out the BBQ and I was giving you recipes for some summer salads, the truth is I am sitting down to a bowl of hearty soup with one of these tasty cheese and dill scones. I cut them into triangles which is how scones are made in America but feel free to cut into circles if that is more comfortable. The secret to a light and fluffy scone is cold butter and a light hand - don’t overwork the dough.
- 2 ozs (50g) cold unsalted butter cubed
- 3 cups (400g) self raising flour
- 3 tbsp Considered Wholegrain Mustard with Horseradish - optional (available at the following stores)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups (300g) mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 eggs
- 60-75 ml whole milk
- Bunch of fresh dill (chopped)
- 50ml light olive oil
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC.
- 2. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- 3. Place the cold butter, flour, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- 4. Rub the mixture with your fingers and work into a breadcrumb consistency.
- 5. Add the grated cheddar and mustard to the mixture, stir to combine and then make a well in the centre.
- 6. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and a few sprigs of dill until thoroughly combined.
- 7. Pour the egg mixture into the well of the dry mixture and gently mix to form a dough - do not overwork.
- 8. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board and using a floured rolling pin roll out to about 2cm thickness and shape it into a square.
- 9. Using a floured knife, cut into four squares, then cut each square diagonally in half to make 8 triangle shaped scones.
- 10. Place the scones on the baking tray and brush the tops with a little milk.
- 11. Bake for 12- 15mins or until risen and a light brown colour.
- 12. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve with butter and Enjoy!
Let me know if you make these and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Dinner Plate3540126 Cooling Rack3530113 Mixing Bowl3512107 Spoon3513121