Houston St. Granola
Many years ago I went for breakfast in a café on Houston Street in New York. I ate thick plain yoghurt with granola that was made on site, and for a time I became pretty obsessed with that granola. I never asked them for the recipe and when I returned several months later the restaurant had gone; as is the case in NYC, things turn around fast. For years I tried to recreate that flavour, adding molasses, dark syrup and trying every recipe I could in the hope that one day I would reach granola nirvana. I forgot about it then until I made a sugar free granola... And there it was, that granola from Houston Street! The elusive ingredient was actually the omission of sugar, which allows the flavours of the roasted nuts and oats to stand proud. A little cinnamon and vanilla add an extra layer, too. So this is my Houston Street granola that's delicious and good for you. Maybe you will become just as obsessed as I did.
- 50g coconut oil
- 150g oats
- 100g almonds (chopped or flaked)
- 100g pecans (broken into large chunks)
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 60g Flax seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1. Mix all seeds, nuts and oats in a bowl. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- 2. Melt the coconut oil in a pan and add the vanilla.
- 3. Pour the coconut oil and vanilla over the seed and oat mixture.
- 4. Combine with your hands and make sure it’s evenly coated.
- 5. Roast in the oven at 190ºC on two trays for 15 mins.
- 6. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for up to one month.
- 7. Serve with plain yoghurt and fresh berries. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Cutlery Set3541109 Sml Marble Board3512115 Sanford Bowl3540127