Savoury Yoghurt with Pickled Red Onions
This savoury yoghurt is a delicious side dish. A perfect complement for falafel, burgers, chicken or anything you would eat in a pitta bread, it’s also great with rice and cous cous. The toasted coriander takes on a nutty lemony flavour, offering a fresh contrast to the creamy yoghurt and tart onions. Personally, I could eat it with a spoon all by itself!
- 1 cup (235ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt (or regular salt)
- 2 cups (470ml) water
- 1 red onion
- 1 tub greek yoghurt
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- Handful of selected herbs- flat leaf parsley, thyme, coriander
- 1. Add sugar, salt and vinegar to the water.
- 2. Slice the onion as thin as possible and immerse the onion in the water mixture and leave for at least an hour.
- 3. Pour the olive oil into a pan and add the coriander seeds.
- 4. Heat for 2-3 mins. until the coriander turns golden. Leave to cool.
- 5. Pour the yoghurt into a bowl or plate. Sprinkle on top with onion, herbs and oil with the coriander seeds. Serve as a side to your favourite dish. Enjoy!
*Pickled red onions will keep for two weeks once refrigerated.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Enzyme Tea Towel3511163 Hampton Dinner Plate3540161 Hampton Side Plate3540162