Almond and Rhubarb Brown Sugar Scones
These sweet scones are buttery and delicious. The tartness of the rhubarb combines beautifully with brown sugar and almonds to make the perfect treat. I find these are so full of flavour that I don't need to add butter and jam but feel free to if you fancy it. A lovely breakfast scone or afternoon treat.
- 8oz rhubarb (appox. 4 stalks)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1½ cups (200g) flour
- ½ cups (65g) buckwheat flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup (70g) light brown sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4oz (110g) cold butter (cubed)
- ½ cup (120ml) buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp flaked almonds
Roast the rhubarb
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C.
- 2. Chop the rhubarb into 4cm pieces and place in a single layer onto a baking tray.
- 3. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar and roast for approx. 20 mins until tender but not falling apart.
- 4. Set aside and allow to cool.
- 1. In a large bowl combine the flours, baking powder, salt and light brown sugar.
- 2. Add the cold butter and rub together until you get a sandy breadcrumb consistency.
- 3. Add the egg to the buttermilk and whisk.
- 4. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and bring together to a loose dough.
- 5. Turn dough out onto board and form into a rough square and scatter half the cooled rhubarb on top and carefully and fold over on itself. Repeat until the rhubarb is incorporated.
- 6. Form the dough into a rectangle roughly 24 cm x 16 cm and cut into 6 squares, then cut each square diagonally to form 12 triangles.
- 7. Refrigerate the scones for an hour or freeze for 20 mins.
- 8. When you are ready to bake, mix together the flaked almonds and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk an egg and dip the top of each scone into the egg and then into the sugar and almond mixture.
- 9. Layout the scones on a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven at 190˚C for 22-26 mins. Serve warm, enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Ludlow Dinner Plate3540158 Ludlow Rnd Platter3541118 Enzyme Tea Towel3511163