Brown Butter Ginger Cookies
Browning half the butter in these cookies gives them a rich caramel flavour. I also used my dark ginger chocolate, broken into chunks, and a little ground ginger in the cookie dough for an additional hit of flavour. These are crispy and chewy with rich caramel, chocolate and warm ginger running through them- what's not to like?!
Makes 36 Cookies
- 8 oz (225g) butter
- 1 cup (200g) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115g) white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 and ¼ cups (250g) flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 bar Considered Ginger Chocolate (80g)- broken into chunks
- ½ cup (60g) pecans
- 1. Place ½ the butter in a pan and melt over a medium heat until butter begins to brown and caramlise. Be careful not to burn it but keep browning until you get a strong caramel smell. Pour into a small bowl and allow to cool for 20 mins.
- 2. In a mixing bowl beat the remaining butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract until the mixture is light.
- 3. Add the cooled brown butter and white sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- 4. Add the egg and beat for 1 min.
- 5. Fold in the flour, ginger, salt and baking soda until combined.
- 6. Fold in the chocolate chunks and pecans.
- 7. Scoop out the dough into balls approx. 2tbsp size and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- 8. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C and line a baking tray.
- 9. Place the balls on lined baking tray and leave about 2 inches between each cookie as they will spread as they bake.
- 10. Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins. or until golden. Remove from the oven and leave rest for 5 mins. before moving them.
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Speckle Side Plate3540168 Speckle Bowl3540169 Speckle Mug3540170 2 Pack Tea Towel3511158