Lime and rose cake
This cake is full of flavour; the yoghurt cuts through the sweetness and makes the cake really moist. The combination of lime in the cake, with the delicate hint of rose in the buttercream, makes it a very feminine cake, really delicious and unique. Decorate the top with your favourite edible flowers like lavender, rose or pansies and primroses*. It’s the perfect cake to make this Mother’s Day.
- 5½ ozs (150g) softened butter
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (50g) honey
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 cup (280g) Greek style natural yoghurt
- 2 ⅔ cups (300g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 2 limes
- Juice of half a lime
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 160˚C.
- 2. Grease and line a 23cm (9 inch) round tin.
- 3. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar, and honey with an electric hand mixer until pale and fluffy.
- 4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 5. Add the yoghurt and stir until thoroughly combined, then add the lime juice.
- 6. Fold in the flour, baking powder and zest until combined - be careful not to over mix.
- 7. Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 8. Leave to cool for 10 mins and then carefully remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Rose buttercream icing
- 5 ozs (140g) butter (softened)
- 2 ¼ cups (280g) icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk (warmed)
- 1 tbsp Considered rose syrup
- 1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft.
- 2. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- 3. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the warm milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- 4. Beat in the second tbsp of milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
- 5. Stir in the rose syrup until well combined. Decorate with edible flowers like lavender, pansies or roses and some lime zest*.
*Please make sure the flowers have not been sprayed with any chemicals
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Waffle Tea Towel3511120 Cutlery Set3541109 Marble Board3512115 Cake Stand3541102 Rose Syrup3520110 Round Cake Pan3530101 Slogan Tea Towel3511114 Summer Stripe Tea Towel3511122