For me, the festive season begins with mince pies. There are so many good mince pies out there as well as great jars of mincemeat but nothing beats making your own. Depending on your taste you can adjust the spice in this recipe and add a few additional ingredients to give it that signature flavour.
This version is my own personalised recipe and I add ginger and pecans, but if you’re not fond of these either omit them or substitute with your favourite nut and spice. I love to give it out in jars to my family and friends as a gift and sometimes add a card with my favourite pastry recipe on it.
- 1 lb (450g) (approx. 4) apples
- 1 cup (225g) candied peel
- 2½ cups (375g) sultanas
- 2½ cups (375g) raisins
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- ⅔ cup (100g) crystallized ginger chopped
- 1⅔ cups (340g) soft dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp mixed spice
- 8ozs (225g) beef suet*
- ½ cup (50g) chopped pecans
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp brandy
*you can substitute with vegetarian suet if you would like the recipe to be vegetarian
- 1. Place all of the ingredients except the brandy into a large crockpot.
- 2. Stir well until mixture is well combined. Leave covered overnight.
- 3. Place in the oven for 3 hours on 110˚C.
- 4. Remove from the oven and stir well. Continue to stir every half hour until completely cool.
- 5. Add brandy and stir.
- 6. Transfer into sterilized jars.
Will keep for up to 6 months.
Let me know if you make these and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Products used: Cast Iron Pot3531100 Chopping Block3512118 Silicone Spoon3513122 Christmas Tags3561105 Grater3513118 Dbl Oven Glove3511110