This cake is so moist and full of flavour. When baking with olive oil you’ll want oil that’s light, otherwise the flavour can be overpowering. The kick of the lemon and the floral note of the olive oil, both combined with my new dark ginger chocolate, is a triumph. The crumb of this cake is light while the recipe is exceedingly easy to make (and even easier to eat!)
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup (125g) yoghurt
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup (160ml) olive oil (I used Dunnes Stores Premium Olive Oil)
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 1¾ cup flour (225g)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1¼tsp salt
- 80g Considered Ginger Dark Chocolate
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- 2. Grease and line a square tin (approx. 9x9 inch).
- 3. In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4. In a separate bowl whisk the olive oil, eggs, yoghurt, lemon juice and zest.
- 5. Fold in the dry ingredients until combined - be careful not to over mix.
- 6. Chop the chocolate with a knife and add to the mixture. Slowly mix until combined.
- 7. Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin.
- 8. Bake in the oven for 40- 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then carefully remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar, slice and serve. Enjoy!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores