Making your own yoghurt is incredibly easy and nothing compares to the homemade version. When I was growing up my parents always made our own yoghurt, saving the last batch to feed the next. Make sure the yoghurt you start with is the one you like because that’s what you are reproducing. It is a very simple process and really gives delicious results. There has been so much hype recently about a healthy gut and eating yoghurt is one of the simplest ways to achieve this.
- 1 litre organic milk (full fat or skimmed)
- 2-3 tbsp plain yoghurt (with active acidophilus cultures- check the label)
- 1. Place the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edge of the milk. (This is to kill any bad bacteria.)
- 2. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the milk cool until you can dip your finger in for a few seconds.
- 3. Pour half the warm milk into a cast iron pot and add the yoghurt and stir or whisk thoroughly. Add the rest of the milk.
- 4. While the milk is cooling heat the oven to the warm setting for a two or three minutes at most. Open the door and check the temperature- it should be warm but not hot. If it seems too hot, leave the door open for a few minutes.
- 5. Place the cast iron pot with the lid on containing the milk inside the oven and close the door. After 4 hours, check to make sure it’s turning into yoghurt- it should appear slightly thickened after several hours. If your mixture is not thickening turn the oven on again for a minute- keep the temperature warm and not hot and leave for another 4 hours or overnight.
- 6. When the yoghurt is done, place it in the fridge for several hours to set.
- 7. Serve the yoghurt plain, with a drizzle of honey or why not make it extra special and add one of my flavoured syrups? (Mix 1 tbsp of syrup to 1 cup of yoghurt-taste and add more if desired.)
Don’t forget to save the last batch to feed you next!
Let me know if you make this and how you get on #consideredbyhj
Considered by Helen James is available at selected stores
Products used: Ramekin3532100 Blackcurrant Syrup3520111 Rose Syrup3520110 Lemon Syrup3520117 Lavender Honey3520115